Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sketch #10

I've fallen behind a bit. I've been having a lot of stress lately (who hasn't) and when I get stressed my natural response is to sleep, so I haven't really felt like staying up late and sketching at night. I missed a night...and then another...and before I knew it, nearly a week had gone by and I found myself thinking "maybe I should just quit". So I asked myself why and I got a bunch of answers back like "really it doesn't matter it's just another stupid thing you're doing", "you don't have enough time", "this is silly", "your sketches really aren't that good", "everybody probably thinks you suck", and so on. None of the answers were good reasons to quit. I had to remind myself that I'm not doing this for anybody else and it doesn't really matter if people think that I suck...maybe they do and maybe they don't. The point of this exercise (for me anyway)is that nobody ever improved in anything without practice and creativity breeds more creativity. So yeah, I'm a little behind at this point, but I'm not quitting.

I also think got a little bored with just graphite. I think in color. I dream in color. My life is all about color and sometimes it's hard for me to translate my ideas into just graphite and paper. So, I went through my art box this weekend and I found all of my paints and pastels and crayons. Seeing them again gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. I missed them.

Here's sketch #10.

1 comment:

Davin Gerber said...

*hug* I know the feeling. Keep it up, you're doing awesome!