Monday, January 10, 2011

I wonder if I could list "Laundry" in the "Special Skills" section of my resume...

Whenever someone asks me whether or not they should entertain their desire to become a massage therapist, I ask them 2 questions:

Do you like doing laundry?
and
Do you like making your bed?

Most people answer "no" in some form or another to both questions, many expressing utter contempt for doing laundry. And many are surprised to find out that I usually 3 to 5 loads per day and sometimes more just for the business (that's with two therapists working full time and not including any of my personal laundry).

Due to the healthy dumping of snow over the weekend, our road was mostly impassible by this morning. Thanks to the pickup, I made it into town for work, but anyone trying to get to/from our place without 4WD was going to be screwed. This meant calling all of my clients to make sure they had the means to get here and rescheduling the ones who didn't...which turned out to be all of them.

After I had finished rescheduling my clients for the day I decided to spend some time catching up with some stuff that I had gotten a little behind on, including the laundry. So, I walked around the corner into my massage room and discovered that the Matterhorn had been moved onto my table.


We normally don't let the laundry get that backed up but with the holidays and family obligations and illness, it just did. Fortunately, if the past six years of being a massage therapist has taught me anything, it's how to fold laundry. So thanks to my awesome ninja-like laundry skills I was able to make short work of it.


And that's what I did with my day...well, one thing I did with my day.
(And for those interested, here's what it looked outside today after it had stopped snowing.)




Over the weekend I did a lot of housekeeping on my computer. I went to defrag it and apparently only 2% of the hard drive was available. Defrag needs 15% to function properly, so I went through and deleted a ton of stuff and got rid of a couple of programs that I no longer use and moved a bunch of stuff onto flash drives. In the end I managed to free up roughly 5% of space. The Pavilion is pushing 5 years now, so I guess it's time to upgrade.

Last night I found myself going through my iTunes library and listening to a bunch of songs that I hadn't heard in awhile. Most of them are more low-key and others are edgier than what I've been listening to lately, but I found them oddly inspiring, which is perfect because I'm in desperate need of inspiration these days. I ended up compiling an awesome play list of this great music and I've been enjoying it all day. Maybe I'll even share it later.

In regards to needing inspiration, today starts the 100 days of sketching. I'll make another post later when I get the sketch finished. I definitely think the first sketch deserves its own post.

Until then, here's one from the play list...

No comments: