Monday, January 10, 2011

Sketch #1

Last week I heard a quote from Vincent Van Gogh...

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint', then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced".

Since then it's become my favorite quote.
(Next to the quote from Alan Alda - "When people are laughing, they're generally not killing one another".)

The more I thought about the quote, the more I thought about all of the stuff I've told myself that I couldn't do over the years. I began to wonder what words I could replace "paint" with.

I've never considered myself much of a sketcher. In fact, growing up, I didn't really consider myself much of an artist. Sure, I loved to make things and be creative, but the school "art" lessons that I had as a kid suggested that I wasn't really much of an artist and I definitely couldn't draw. So I grew up believing that...until I got to college. Among the many things that I took away from my college education was that I could draw and I could even paint...quite well as a matter of fact. I also discovered that I have an aptitude for color, detail and basic design concepts. Despite all of this, the little voice in my head persisted...rather, I allowed it to persist. For whatever reason, I haven't a clue.

Last week when I found out about this challenge, I thought to myself "there's no way that I could do that, I'm not good at sketching". And then, as if someone was trying to tell me something, I came across that quote.

So here I am, silencing that little voice in my head once and for all.

No comments: