Friday, September 18, 2009

New Diggs or "Honey, We're Packing the Kids and Moving to the Hampton!"

I like staying in hotels.

I'm not sure if it's the change of scenery, the chintzy decor, the privacy or that staying in a hotel usually means something fun or exciting is happening. When I think of the different places I've been and the things I've done, the places I've stayed along the way always stick out in my mind.

I get a feeling like I'm in neutral territory. The room is mine for the night or weekend or however long I'm staying, but I have no ownership or responsibility towards it (well...other than making sure I don't trash the place...but for me that's really not too difficult).

I especially like nice hotel rooms.

I have no problems with forking over extra cash for a better room. If I have my choice of a 2-star room for $50 and a 4-star room for $100...if it's in my budget, I'll take the 4 star room. A softer bed, a few more amenities, less chance of seeing a really creepy looking bug crawl across your bathroom floor...totally worth it.

On the other end of the scale, I've never stayed at a truly upscale hotel. The fanciest place I've stayed up until this point is the Green Valley Ranch just outside of Las Vegas. I loved it and would totally go back there again if I had the opportunity, but what I'm really talking about are places like the Waldorf Astoria and so on. Places that cost more per night than my car is worth. If I had the opportunity and the money, I would totally stay at a place like that. I'm not sure how much I'd truly enjoy it though...I have a hard time relaxing at a place where things look like they cost more than what I have readily available in my checking account. Then again, if I was staying at a place like that, I probably would have a lot more in my bank account than I do right now.

Anyway, my absolute favorite place to stay is the Hampton Inn. I especially like how the new ones are decorated. I love the black and white photos and the elegant simplicity of the rooms. They have the best breakfasts, by far and the most comfortable beds that I've found in any hotel.

Either way, I do my best writing and my best thinking in hotels. Sometimes I get the best sleep in a hotel. (Depending on how the bed is). I can't speak from experience, but I think I could live in a hotel room.

Hmm...maybe I should become a travel writer or a hotel inspector....or just become independantly wealthy and move in.

:)

No comments: